Week 12 Reading Notes | Celtic Fairy Tales, Part A

Celtic Fairy Tales: Part A


Connla and the Fairy Maiden:

Right away, I'm super intrigued by the idea of the Hill Folk.  I was definitely surprised when she called him away to Moy Mell.  I'm not convinced that Coran the Druid actually got rid of her when she vanished... The apple feels a bit sketchy to me.  Yep, totally knew she'd be back.  I really thought Connla would have been strong enough to resist her charms, so I was really caught off guard when he sailed away with her.  I wish there would've been a bit more detail in this story, everything really happened super fast. 

The Field of Boliauns:

Leprechauns! I was so excited when I realized that this was about Leprechauns! I'm not quite sure why it's a big deal that the beer is made of heath instead of malt... I'm hoping we find out.  I'm kind of with the leprechaun, Tom is annoying and really should've just left well enough alone and not bothered someone needlessly.  I'm glad Tom didn't get anything.  He was a jerk... I don't think I'd retell this story as it's written here.  I might change the story so Tom and the leprechaun become friends and have fantastic adventures. 

The Horned Women:

This poor woman.  All of her servants have gone to bed, she's up late in the night working and these women keep interrupting her! If that was me, I'd have been so scared! I think it's fascinating how the woman of the house went through a process to banish the horned women from her home. It was super interesting that the women came back and tried to use those very things against her.  I'm glad they didn't let them in again. I love that they kept the mantle that was dropped.  My family absolutely has items that have been in the family for a while and I think it could be interesting to put a more modern spin on this and relate it back to a real life item and tell the story of it. 

The Shepherd of Myddvai:

Ooooh, very spooky that these three maidens arose from the middle of the lake! It almost reminded me of Goldi-Locks a little bit the way the bread was too hard and then too soft and then just right.  I'm glad he was able to identify his wife from his sisters! I also think it's a bit ridiculous that tapping her on the shoulder counted as striking her, but technically I guess it's not wrong. I like that she didn't totally abandon her kids? At least she returned once to bestow gifts upon them, but I still think she absolutely overreacted.  She may have been bound by some type of curse, but, honestly she didn't seem sorry to leave at all. 

The Sprightly Tailor:

It's never good when the story starts out with a church that's only haunted at night. That's a recipe for bad luck! He definitely should NOT have gone to that church as the day we ending. Ugh. What was he even thinking??  This giant thing rising out of the church floor is so stressful! Why couldn't he have just stayed in the church like a normal demon thing? I'm glad the tailor made it back okay, it's kinda scary that the apparition left a mark on the wall above the gate.  

Munachar and Manachar

I am so confused.  All of this over some raspberries? This story really just annoyed me.  I was really disappointed that Manachar burst at the end of the story. Like come on this poor guy did so much just to get a little vengeance, and it was pointless in the end. 

Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree:

If Silver-Tree was Gold-Tree's mother, couldn't she just have taken the compliment? I like that instead of falling victim to Silver-Tree, Gold-Tree was alive and well with a husband! The style of this writing almost reminded me of Viking Sagas, it was very practical and without much flourish, but I really liked it! I thought it was a little bit weird that the prince had two wives but I'm glad that Gold-Tree had help! I also like the ending, "I left them there." 

Bibliography: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse