Week 4 Story: The Cat with One Escape

The Cat with One Escape: An Adaptation of the Fox and the Cat




Fred the Fox and Katy the Cat could commonly be found on a warm spring day sprawling in the sunny meadow adjacent to the McDonald Family Farm.  Prone to engaging in philosophical debates and quick banter, it had been well established that while Fred was smarter, Katy was kinder.  Where Fred would internally debate the potential ramifications of sharing his daily catch with Katy, Katy would without reserve offer Fred an equal share of every meal.  He had saved her as a kitten from the McDonalds’ hounds, and Katy regularly deferred to his infinite wisdom. 

It so happened one sunny spring afternoon that Farmer McDonald had taken a trip to town.  His sons’ favorite unsupervised pastime was to let the hounds loose to see which could fetch the largest prize.  Fred and Katy were enjoying the day in their favorite spot in the sunny meadow.

As soon as Fred heard the hounds set out on their hunt, he alerted Katy by whispering haughtily, “If the hounds are witty enough to find us, I have 101 different evasion tactics!”

Katy blinked her eyes slowly and drank in the familiar arrogance of her best friend’s drawling voice.  “I have only one way to escape the hounds, Fred, but it hasn’t failed me yet,” she purred serenely.  The hounds had not scared her for the last two years since Fred had saved her.

Fred knew all of Katy’s responses to every situation.  That was his job, to know what Katy would do and protect her from making mistakes. 

“Well if you get confused when the time comes, follow my lead, okay, Katy? I’ll always take care of you when it comes down to the wire,” said Fred, always acting the big brother. 

An ominous howl sounded, much closer than either Katy or Fred had anticipated.  The hounds usually went west toward the lake on the other side of the farm.  They almost never turned east toward the meadow. 

Katy’s tail became puffed and her fur stood on end.  Fred shrank to the ground, his mind racing with his evasion tactics as his eyes flicked around the meadow.  He usually had time to decide which he would use before the hounds were so near.   

The pounding of angry paws drew closer and closer, and Katy nimbly jumped to her favorite branch in her favorite maple tree.  Her fur was the perfect shade of brown to blend in, and all that could be seen were her eyes growing wider with horror as she watch Fred freeze. 

Katy held her breath as she watched Fred’s internal struggle.  He was overwhelmed with his options.  He couldn’t choose under pressure. 

The hounds made their way into the clearing, and as the first made it to Fred, his eyes lifted pleadingly to Katy.  It was over quickly and Katy was left feeling hollow and alone. 

“I should’ve offered he jump up first. He might’ve listened to me just this once,” mewled Katy, sounding very much like the lost kitten she had been before Fred found her. 

Her next whisper was lost on the wind as she broke down, “I should’ve kept us both safe with the one way I knew. What use are 101 different options if you’re too scared to choose?”


Author's Note: 

I adapted this from The Fox and the Cat.  I left much of the story the same, but added a contemporary spin, as well as changing the attitude of the cat.  I felt the message was more meaningful this way.  Having 101 ways to do something won't help you if you freeze in the moment, but having a friend reach out who knows one way to do the same thing can often bring you down off a ledge of panic.  

Bibliography:

The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs. Web Source

Comments

  1. Feedback Comment:
    Hey Tricia! I really loved this story, I thought that the story adaptation from "The Fox and the Cat" was an awesome idea! I think that your writing style really effectively told a story. I think that Aesop's fables are such a cool thing to put a contemporary spin on. In terms of feedback, I really do not have much! My only comment is that you could stand to have some extra adjectives. By no means is the story bland or lacking, but there is room for additional descriptions if you chose to go that route. I believe if you added some extra detail it would only improve the story, rather than take away too much or distract too much from the entire story. I think that this story that you put a contemporary spin on would be a lovely children's fable with a great deeper lesson attached. Overall, great work! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!
    Best wishes,
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tricia! Awesome story! I really enjoyed your story! Although it was a short story I got attached to the friendship of the cat and the fox. It made me sad to read the demise of the fox and the regret of Katy the cat. I never read the " The fox and the Cat" so I am curious if the fox reached the same fate in the original story? over all great job! good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tricia,
    I think you did a really good job with the anticipation of the hounds running towards them, I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen next and it kept me engaged. Fred seemed very smart but it was mentioned that he seemed to overthink everything. I know that the path the hounds normally take veered off course, but if Fred had experienced hiding from the hounds before, I wonder what made him freeze if he is so experienced. I enjoyed the story but I think that the end came and went kind of fast. I think that if you extended build up of the hounds coming to find them, and then extended the moment to hounds found them, it would make the anticipation I commented on earlier mean a little more. I liked the details you added about Katy's tail becoming puffed, it shows how using description can tell the reader that she was scared, instead of just outright saying so. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tricia!
    You did a great job on this version of the original story! With most of the fables I've read, the fox is sly and wise but he also seems like the bad guy sometimes. I like how you gave the fox a more friendly character and giving both characters more depth by adding a sentimental backstory of the fox rescuing the cat. Sometimes fables give that feel of justified misfortune so in wondering how it would be if it were more humane, you did just so. You kept the lesson of the story without the cat scoffing at the failure of her friend's escape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tricia!
    You did a great job on this version of the original story! With most of the fables I've read, the fox is sly and wise but he also seems like the bad guy sometimes. I like how you gave the fox a more friendly character and giving both characters more depth by adding a sentimental backstory of the fox rescuing the cat. Sometimes fables give that feel of justified misfortune so in wondering how it would be if it were more humane, you did just so. You kept the lesson of the story without the cat scoffing at the failure of her friend's escape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tricia,

    I liked this story a lot, despite its sad ending. It was very interesting to see the fox be defeated due to not being able to think fast enough, as foxes are usually depicted as so clever and quick-thinking in these fable-style tales. I think you did a great job at presenting the moral of the story and emphasizing how it is useless to have choices if you can't make a decision with conviction. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse