Week 12 Reading | Celtic Fairy Tales Part B

Reading Notes Celtic Fairy Tales Part B



King O'Toole and His Goose:

Why was the goose so important? What was the special significance of it??? Who is this Saint Kavin, and why does he have the power to make old things new? I have so many questions which arise from this story and I'm super confused through most of it.  I didn't realize that Saint Kavin was in disguise, so I was confused when he revealed himself.  This story was not really my style. 

The Shee An Gannon and the Gruagach Gaire:

I like that it starts out right away establishing that the Shee an Gannon was supernatural.  I've read a lot of folklore about the Sidhe, or the Shee and I was hoping they'd make an appearance! I think it was incredibly cunning of the Shee an Gannon to get himself hired by the Gruagach Gaire.  That's one thing I absolutely love about reading stories of the Sidhe, they're always so cunning and influential to those around them, including other Sidhe!!!  He wasn't so slick after all, though when he point blank asked that the answer to his question was.  BUSTED.  I was so sad for the Gruagach Gaire when I found out his sons had been killed! Yellow Face is definitely a scary creature! It was vicious to do the same to Yellow Face as had been done to the sons of Gruagach Gaire, but I think he definitely had it coming.  I'm really happy he got his sons back, too! I'm glad the Shee an Gannon got his bride, after all! 

Beth Gellert:

Ugh he was so wrong about the greyhound! I got the feeling that this was going to be a mistake right off the bat! I did not like this story at all. 

The Tale of Ivan:

This was full of little pieces of advice, which I found interesting.  I'm glad Ivan actually listened to his farmer.  I really loved this story, I could totally retell this story with maybe a more modern spin or talk about their lives beforehand. 

Andrew Coffey:

This story was really weird and honestly kind of creepy.  I don't do creepy so I tried to read it as quickly as I could.  

Brewery of Eggshells:

Oh man! I think this is going to be a changeling story!  I love changeling stories! I think for this one I would make the mother not catch the twins but always suspect, and I'd tell the story of the changelings who probably were taken into the realm of the Sidhe! 

Bibliography: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse