Week 11 Reading: Part B, American Indian Fairy Tales

American Indian Fairy Tales, Reading Part B





YES!!! I literally love Iagoo and his stories! I am so happy that he keeps reappearing! I love that Morning Glory keeps coming back, too. I imagine her as the cutest little girl with huge brown eyes and maybe some horrible bangs that she cut herself, just so eager to learn and be able to share her own knowledge.  I also love that this story goes back so far and that he helps them understand how it would have been different from what they are used to. It's so cool that animals used to rule the world and not men!  I'm absolutely hooked now, and have to see what mischief the little boy will cause with his new bow and arrow! 


The little boy is such a brat! He is also so lazy! He wants to get revenge on the sun but instead of going to get the stupid rope himself he makes his sister do it after she's taken such good care of him! I was definitely not rooting for him to catch the sun.


I both love and hate that the other animals only used the dormouse because he was big and stupid.  I was hoping it would be something filled with more bravery.  


I love the relationship between Morning Glory and Iagoo.  I think they are so sweet together and his patience is astounding.  I was surprised that the story went to talk about how there was no summer on Earth at one point.  I'm not sure where I thought it would go but this is definitely not it, at all. 


I think it's super cool that the animals talked about bringing the summer down from the sky.  That's a really interesting concept. 


The wolverine did it! He made the first dent and then cracked the sky! I'm sure all of the other animals were pulling the ,"I loosened it for you..." card. I was so sad when O-jeeg got caught in the sky. I had no idea that the little boy's father was going to end up being the Fisher. Ugh that broke my heart in two! 


I'm already rooting for Neen-i-zu because people call her romantic and a dreamer.  I was super excited to see, "Manito Wac," because that's a town near where I grew up! I wonder if "Wood of the Spirits," is actually what it means and why the town was called that. 


This story kind of remind me of Pocahontas a little bit in the manner that a parent is pushing her toward a good native man who can provide for her but who she feels no love for.  I love that she got to marry her fairy, though! 





Bibliography:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse