Reading Notes: Week 7 African Stories from Lang's Fairy Books Part B

Reading Notes Part B

Hassebu

Wow, it was pretty rude of the other guys to leave him! I also didn't expect that Hassebu would be willing to go work at all.  I totally thought this was going to be one of those stories where a spoiled mama's boy wasn't going to ever work.

Hassebu Continued

I really found myself wishing that Hassebu would have just listened to his friend, the King of the Snakes.  I was so disappointed when he had to carry his friend back to be killed.  I'm happy for Hassebu, but he's literally only successful because someone died to get him there.  That's a really steep price to pay.  

The Heart of a Monkey

This story reminds me a little but of Scheherazade so far because it is a story going into a story! I'm glad the monkey made it back to land after the Shark tricked him, and I'm happy he's getting to have a little bit of fun with the shark now.

The Heart of a Monkey: The Washerman's Donkey


I absolutely did not expect the donkey to be able to escape! I also didn't expect the donkey to be able to hurt the lion! 

The Heart of a Monkey: The Washerman's Donkey Continued

I don't know if I'm happy or sad that the lion got the donkey.  She was a brat, but did she deserve to die because she foolishly followed the hare again? I love how the monkey tied it back in to be relevant to the situation with the shark! 

Makoma

I didn't love this story.  It just sounds like a typical guy thinking he's hot stuff and getting super cocky.  

Makoma Continued

I had trouble following this part of the story.  Maybe it's because I lost interest. 

Makoma End

I kind of wanted the giant to just absolutely destroy Makoma, honestly.  I think instead of being made a hero he should've been put in his place.  

Bibliography

The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H.J. Ford (1901)

The Lilac Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H.J. Ford (1910)

The Orange Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H.J. Ford (1906)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse