Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths Part A

Reading Notes: Week 5 India and the Middle East 




All in all, I think Egyptian folklore is fascinating, but I feel like I'm getting too attached to the characters! Halfway through I started catching myself thinking things like, "Oooooh here comes Set, he's no good," or, "Isis, get it together, girl!" 


Loved:


Reasoning: This story was easy to follow.  I liked the concept that Osiris wanted to give wisdom to all and teach them so they might not be evil anymore.  I also liked that Isis was wise.  I'm a sucker for a story with a smart girl! 


Reasoning: I liked this story because I got a little attached to Osiris and Isis in Osiris and I had to know how it ended.  It was frustrating that Set tricked him to his death, because Osiris had spread wisdom to so many after taking the throne and I wish that he would've seen it for the trap that it was.  Isis is present again and I don't like that she seemed like a lost maiden without her man.  She cut off some hair and wandered? What kind of response is that? I like that she became herself a little bit more at the end though when she saved the child. 


Reasoning: HUGE PLOT TWIST AND SPOILER ALERT!!!!! I had no idea that the child she saved was her own son, Horus!!! I love that these stories are all intertwined!!!! 



Disliked: 


Reasoning: This story was really hard for me to follow.  Maybe it was the unfamiliar names, but I felt that I struggled to grasp what it was trying to convey and had to read it several times to get a true understanding of the story.  


Reasoning: I also wanted to know the secret name of Ra and I'm a little upset that the author didn't tell us! 






Bibliography: 


Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse