Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) Part A

Reading Notes: Week 4 Aesop's Fables (Jacobs)  Part A


(Photo by: PxFuel)

I enojyed doing a majority of the readings for Week 4 Part A.  I love fables and getting to the end of a short story and understanding what they wanted to convey and searching for ways to apply it to everyday life.

I loved two stories and really disliked one.

Loved:

Reasonings:  I loved these two stories because I felt that they really accurately and easily conveyed the intended message. The Fox and the Cat made it super easy to recognize that sometimes it’s better to know exactly one way to do things than to have hundreds of different ways to do things but be unable to decide which to use.  I also really liked Belling the Cat because it is something that happens pretty frequently today.  You see many people proposing a solution to something but few are volunteering to implement those solutions. 

Hated:

Reasonings: I hated the The Ass in the Lion's Skin for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, I don’t think that would be convincing to very many.  It would’ve been pretty obvious upon looking at the ass in the lion’s fur that it was horribly misshapen.  Secondly, the ass was just super dumb.  I know that was a main point of this fable but it still irritates me. 

Notes:
I think this week I'm going to write something that has to do with making hard choices under pressure, probably based heavily upon The Fox and the Cat.


Story Source: The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs

The fox thought it was super smart and tried to show the cat how much better he was.  This was all fine and well until the hounds came running and the fox thought so long and hard about how he was going to proceed that he was found by the hounds while the cat used his or her tried and true method of hiding in a tree. 

Belling the Cat
Story SourceThe Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs 

The mice were all arguing about how to avoid death-by-cat and although they all had solutions one rose above the rest: attach a bell to the cat to know when it is approaching.  They all loved this idea but nobody was willing to risk his or her life to attach it and save many lives. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse