Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology


(Photo by Pixabay)

These readings were really fun! I really enjoyed 2 stories, in particular, and found 1 more dull than the rest.  You can find my notes regarding these 3 below! 

Loved: 


Reasonings: Honestly, I absolutely love the moon and I have no idea why.  I'm always drawn outside when there's a nice clear night with a bright moon and a cool breeze.  I can totally see why the man would've thought that it would be nice to be the moon.  I liked the Hare in the second story because he was just trying to be good and he was totally willing to die for his beliefs. He stuck to his morals and I think there should be more of that. Maybe not the the point of death. Hopefully you catch my drift? 

Hated: 


Reasonings: So many. SO SO many reasons.  I thought it was not a great rendition. It didn't keep my attention and I had a little trouble following it.  It also just seemed kind of pointless.  "Listen to ghosts." Cool, I get it, but also maybe don't sleep alone in the woods? Just an idea. Camping by myself without a tent is clearly not my thing. 


The Man in the Moon:

Story Source:  Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson (1899).

Aetiologial stories are stories of how things came to be. i.e., how a leopard got his spots. I love these sorts of stories. I love knowing how things purportedly came to be! 

            The man wanted to be so many different things and he wouldn’t accept his lot in life or work to change it. He only begged for things to be different and when rewarded with his request, he had more complaints, still.  Eventually he decided that he only wanted to be what he was in the beginning, and was stuck as the moon because he had used all of the goodwill given to him.


The Hare that Was not Afraid to Die:

Story Source: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie L. Shedlock (1920).

            Sakka was the King of the Gods.  He wanted to test the Hare, but also went to all of the Hare’s animal friends, the Otter, the Jackal, and the Monkey.  The Otter, the Jackal, and the Monkey all offered to give Sakka the things they had stolen and the Hare offered to give him his own flesh, but not on the holy day. The Hare was truly willing and jumped into the flames created by Sakka, but they were not hot.  They were cold.  He exemplified true morality and Sakka wanted his virtue to be known to everyone thereafter. 


The Indian Who Wrestled with a Ghost:

Story Source: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913).
            
            A young man was laying down by a fire and heard some weird noises. A “woman of the olden days” approached him while he was hiding under his blanket.  He kept meeting ghosts in the woods and then one wanted to wrestle.  By keeping the fire going, the man discovered that the ghosts were stronger in the dark and as soon as the sun rose the man beat the ghost.  The man also killed his enemy and got his horses and attributed that to the ghost telling him he’d be successful if he could beat him at wrestling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Tricia the Dog-Mom and History Major

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Alice the Mouse